Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Trials and Tribulations following Jaw Surgery

Tomorrow is a very exciting day in the life of me! I will get the splint out of my mouth! It has been 5 weeks today since my surgery and since people have been able to easily understand what I'm saying. The splint is holding my upper jaw in place as it heals from being widened. But as of 4:30 tomorrow it will be gone! I'll be able to speak clearly, and hopefully be able to close my lips for the first time in FIVE WEEKS!

I'm very excited if you can't tell. For the past 5 weeks I have been carrying around a wash cloth everywhere I go to make sure and catch any drool that might fall out of my mouth. I still can't feel my bottom lip which is problematic since I have no warning until drool hits my chest that it is even falling out of my mouth. My hands are pealing (most likely from a vitamin deficiency), I can't blow my nose (and have never had so much milk in my life, which means I have plenty of mucous), I have a splint in my mouth that is in the way of my tongue so my speech sounds like a deaf person talking, and did I mention I can't close me lips?

The good news is my nails have never been so strong, and I think I've lost weight, I don't own a scale though (that falls under the trials and tribulations of house breaking a puppy) so I can't be sure. Hopefully once the splint is out and I can close my lips again I can get back to a regular work out schedule and that will help boost my energy. Hopefully after tomorrow it will also be easier to drink out of a cup and then I can incorporate soup and other things besides smoothies into my diet.

It's been a very long roller coaster ride since this process has started, I have days where I'm deep in the dark place and don't even want to look in the mirror, then I have other days where I'm pretty happy and will brave the outdoors and seeing people. But I will be very excited when this is all over and I can stop hiding from the camera, that's for sure!

I think that's all for today. Hopefully I'll have a very happy post for later this week!

No comments: